Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Huge Oatmeal Cookies!!


Let me start off by apologizing for my lack of posting. I have no excuses other than...I haven't really felt like baking lately. I don't know if it is spring fever or what, but I haven't been in the kitchen for some time. I did miss my mixer and my cookie sheets. I went searching for a recipe that might hit the spot. Boy did I find them! These Giant Oatmeal Drop Cookies were fabulous! Let me tell you, when they say giant...They mean it! I had one of these in my hand and all you could see was my fingers! They were literally the size of my palm! Soft and chewy too. What I like the most was that since the cookies were so large, it only made 15 and that means they will finish quickly and I won't be tempted to eat them all the time! I bet these babies would taste excellent with some vanilla ice cream. Come to think of it, they are just the right size to make one of those ice cream sandwiches! I might have to run to the store right quick for some ice cream!!! Enjoy!

Giant Oatmeal Drop Cookies From

1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, softened
1/2 cup applesauce
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups regular oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.
Beat sugar and butter at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 5 minutes). Add applesauce and egg; beat well. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, oats, soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat at low speed until well-blended. Stir in raisins, walnuts, and vanilla. Using 3 level tablespoons per cookie, drop dough 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray; flatten slightly. Bake at 350° for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove cookies from pans; cool on wire racks.

Yield: 15 cookies

Source: Cooking Light March 1999

1 comment:

purplecupcake said...

Coincidentally, I just came from the local Starbucks and saw the most enormous cookies ever. They were as big as my 5 year old (healthy) son's face. I wish I had my camera so I could've taken pictures of them! I will the next time I go there and let you see them!
I love the texture of these cookies. It makes you want to take a huge bite out of it knowing your taste buds will say 'thank you.'