Saturday, August 12, 2006

Pecan Pie Coffee Cake


I was browsing through the Cooking Light website last night to see what I could find and came across this recipe. Now Pecan Pies are my favorite and there is always time for a good coffee cake, so when I saw this recipe I knew immediately I had to try it! This cake was really more of an actual snack cake than a coffee cake. The recipe says it is best eaten along with a cup of coffee. I guess that would be true because it doesn't have the cinnamon & such as a regular coffee cake would so you need the coffee in there somewhere to classify it as a coffee cake. It was really good though. Really moist and sweet. The top of the cake actually tasted like a pecan pie! It was chewy and the pecans were crunchy! I really liked this recipe. I would definitely make it again! Let me tell you.....It tastes even better the second day! Now I need to go cut me another piece and take some to my dad, who loves pecan pies as much as I do! Hope you like it as much as I did!

Pecan Pie Coffee Cake

Cake:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons butter, softened
2 ounces fat-free cream cheese
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 5 1/2 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
Cooking spray

Topping:
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
1 large egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare cake, place granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons butter, and cream cheese in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add egg and egg white, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.

Pour batter into a 9-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cake from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.

To prepare topping, combine syrup, brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons butter in a 4-cup glass measure. Microwave at high 1 minute. Stir with a whisk until butter melts. Whisk in pecans and beaten egg.

Using a wooden skewer, poke holes in top of warm cake. Pour pecan mixture over top of cake. Return cake to oven; bake at 325° for 10 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2005

6 comments:

Linda said...

mmmmm...yummy! I'd be the only one to eat it, though...no one in my family likes pecan ANYTHING...sigh.

Michele sent me today!

Catherine said...

Looks delicious..
Here from Michele's

Anonymous said...

I love pretty much anything involving pecans. I'll definitely put this on my "to do" list.

kenju said...

Michele sent me, and I'd sure like a piece or two of that coffee cake!!

carmilevy said...

I don't think I'd make it to the cooling phase. I'd demolish it in one fell swoop...my kids would have to fend for themselves :)

You have such great taste!

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful. My husband loves pecan pie so I think I will give this a try.