Sunday, July 09, 2006

Muffin Mania!


I bought this book this weekend at Hastings on a whim. I have vowed that I will TRY to make almost every recipe in this book! I loved the different flavors that they have in it. I want to make the Corn, Chile & Pepper Muffins! Oh the different possibilities! I can't Wait!!

These muffins are the Raspberry Cream Cheese Muffins with the exception of the Raspberries. I didn't have any but I did have some cherries. I substituted the cherries and they were pretty good! Not the flavor that I expected though. I thought they would taste somewhere along the lines of those Cherry & Cream cheese pastries. Nope! They were good though. You could taste the cinnamon more than the cherries. Oh well. I guess that is why you substitute and experiment. Then you can find out which flavors go well with one another and which ones don't. As for cherries and cinnamon...In a cherry crisp..yes, but in these muffins..Eh not so much. Well, on to the next recipe!

Raspberry Cream Cheese Muffins

2 Cups flour
2 Tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/2 Cup cream cheese
2 eggs beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/4 Cup butter melted
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Cup fresh or frozen raspberries

Preheat oven to 400. Grease 18 standard muffin cups or line them with muffin liners. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Stir through the brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the cream cheese until the mixture resembles crumbs about the size of a pea.

In a small mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, melted butter and vanilla extract. Add all at once to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened (the batter will be lumpy).

Fold in the raspberries. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them two-thirds full. Bake until golden brown and wooden skewer to toothpick inserted inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 5 minutes. Serve warm or transfer to a wire rack to cool. If desired, sift a little confectioners sugar over the tops of the muffins before serving.

Source: The Muffin Book

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But they look yummy... :)

MaR said...

Visiting from Michele's blogroll game...at least I have coffee, I love muffins!!!