I saw these cookies on Martha Stewart's website and knew I had to try them! They are the coolest thing! The marshmallows just puff up and then sink into the cookie! I love them. They were a bit on the sweet side, but that could have been from the heavy hand that was frosting them. The cookie is crisp on the outside and (of course) soft on the inside thanks to the marshmallow. You know after I tasted them I thought..."Man I should have added some pecans and I would have my own little Mississippi Mud Cake!" The cookie is very chocolatey though, so if you don't like a lot of cocoa flavor you might not want to make them.
Makes about 2 dozen
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
12 large marshmallows, cut in half horizontally
1. Preheat oven to 375Â°. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, milk, and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add reserved flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined.
3. Using a tablespoon or 1 3/4-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto ungreased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies begin to spread and become firm, 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Remove baking sheets from oven, and place a marshmallow, cut-side down, in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Return to oven, and continue baking until marshmallows begins to melt, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
5. Spread about 1 tablespoon of frosting over each marshmallow, starting in the center and continuing outward until marshmallow is covered.
Chocolate Frosting for Surprise Cookies
Makes 1 cup
2 cups confectionersÂ sugar
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Place confectionersÂ sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk in butter and cocoa powder. Add milk and vanilla, and whisk until well combined.
Source: Martha Stewart