Monday, January 16, 2006

Blueberry-Pecan Scones


Tonight for dinner we tried a recipe for fish tacos. I liked them. Everybody else...not so much! It will be a repeat for me since I have found a way to cook fish that I like. I don't really care for it fried and there is a recipe that my mom makes that is wonderful, but grilling it is really good!

Little Gary wanted to try his hand at baking with me tonight so we made some Blueberry-Pecan scones. We don't usually cook together but he has developed a liking to being in the kitchen. I thought this recipe would be a nice change from the "sweets" I usually make. They came out really good. Do they look like the picture in Cooking Light? Not really, but do they taste like they should? I would have to guess yes since these were really good! I think I folded the blueberries a little too much. I used the frozen ones. I bet they would have been really good with fresh blueberries. I was thinking that it would be a good recipe to try with maybe some other kind of berry or anything really. I really wonder if it would be good with peach? I really like peach and if I could make this with it, I would be a happy camper, you know what I mean? Oh wow, maybe apples!

Blueberry-Pecan Scones

1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
Cooking spray
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons sugar

Preheat oven to 375°.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Gently fold in blueberries and pecans. Add milk mixture, stirring just until moist (dough will be sticky).

Turn dough out onto a floured surface; pat dough into an 8-inch circle. Cut dough into 10 wedges, and place the dough wedges on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush egg white over dough wedges; sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake scones at 375° for 18 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2005

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They look yummy! You could use any fruit, chopped up. I mix it up all the time with baked stuff at work, and it always turns out great. :)