Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Chiliburger Pies


I wanted to make something a little different tonight so I decided to dig into my cookbooks and came across my old Betty Crocker cookbook. In it I found this recipe for a burger/pie combination. I substituted Black beans for the corn per a request from Kourtney and I added some shredded cheese. They were so flaky and good! A simple little dinner for simple little people. Well, we aren't really little but the dinner was. Just enough for us tide us over until little Gary's German Chocolate cupcakes that he is baking are ready for us to eat! They would go really good with a salad maybe. They really do taste good though. You can taste the buttery goodness of the biscuit mix. You are really supposed to make them into rounds but I made them into little empanadas. They just seemed easier to hold and eat. I am going to have to hide one of these for me to take tomorrow for my lunch! Speaking of which....I better get over there! They are disappearing fast!

Chiliburger Pies

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 can (8 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies, drained
2 tsp chili powder
2 1/3 Cups baking mix
3 tbs margarine or butter melted
1/2 Cup milk

Mix ground beef, corn, chilies & chili powder. Shape mixture into 6 patties. Place on rack in broiler pan. Set oven control to broil. Broil with tops 3-4 inches from heat for 4 minutes on each side.

Heat oven to 400. Mix remaining ingredients until soft dough forms. Beat vigorously 20 strokes. Smooth dough gently into ball on surface dusted with baking mix. Knead 5 times. Roll 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 12 rounds with floured 4 1/2" biscuit cutter. Place beef patties on 6 of the rounds. Top each with another round. Pinch edges together to seal. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 15 minutes or until golden brown.


Source: Betty Crocker's 40th Anniversary Edition Cookbook

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These look like comfort food to me. Do you remember those little biscuit cups that had like barbecue-meat in them?