Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Raspberry Butter Cake


I have once again began my baking spree. Tonight I decided to try out a recipe from my Cooking Pleasures magazine. It was a very pretty cake but the top was a bit too mushy for me. I am not sure if it was supposed to be that way or not. I personally think that maybe I didn't let it cook long enough. I think the top was supposed to be like a cheesecake. I did happen to taste it while it was still warm though. I stuck it in the fridge to see if it tastes better. I am betting that it will. You are supposed to top the cake with fresh raspberries, but I only had frozen so I pureed them and put that on top. I am wondering if this cake would taste good with blueberries instead of raspberries....I may have to retry this recipe one more time.

Raspberry Butter Cake
Adapted from Cooking Pleasures Magazine

CAKE
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup fresh raspberries

TOPPING
2 (3-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups fresh raspberries

1. Heat oven to 325°F. Spray 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.

2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl at medium speed 3 to 4 minutes or until creamy and lightened in color. Beat in 1 egg. At low speed, beat in sour cream, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon vanilla until combined. Beat in flour mixture just until incorporated. Spoon batter into pan. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup raspberries, pressing gently into batter. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or just until top feels firm when lightly touched.

3. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar in large bowl at low speed until smooth. Beat in 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla until combined. Slowly pour topping over partially baked cake. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until edges look firm and center moves slightly when pan is tapped but doesn’t ripple as if liquid.

4. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Sprinkle with 2 cups raspberries before serving. (Cake can be made 1 day ahead.) Cover and store in refrigerator.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, pretty blog!

Caty said...

Even if it didn't taste as good as you were hoping it looks gorgeous! Was it any better after being in the fridge?

Michelle said...

Caty,
Thanks! It did taste better after it had been chilled. I am not sure I would make it again though since it didn't go over well with everyone else here. I guess I will keep looking for more great recipes to try.

Michelle

Jennifer said...

I made this same recipe for friends and it was a hit. The tartness of the fresh raspberries played wonderfully off the sweet richness of the cake. I would definitely try it again, and with other fruits as well...

Anonymous said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message header link to visit our blog. :)

Anonymous said...

It looks soo moist and delish!!