Friday, December 30, 2005

My Two Favorite Things! Cheesecake & Presents!


I know it is a little late, but I am finally getting up the post about my cheesecake that I made for our family get together on Friday night. I also made some homemade Calzones for dinner, but I forgot to take a picture of them. I was really proud of them too! Anyhow, I had wanted a springform pan for the longest time so I could try to make a real homemade cheesecake. I got this recipe from an episode of Everyday Italian. I love this show!

I couldn't for the life of me find biscotti anywhere around here! I had to compromise and make the cake with graham cracker crumbs. It turned out ok though. It isn't as high as a New York Cheesecake, but it was good! You could taste the subtle flavor of the orange zest and it was so creamy. I may try this again, except this time I want to try it with Lemon zest instead. (I love lemons!) The recipe is below for those of you who would like to try it out.


I am hoping to get Giada's cookbook next, but speaking of cookbooks! I received an early birthday present from my Sister! She got me How To Be A Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson! I am so anxious to start cooking out of this book! Thanks Crys!





Honey Ricotta Cheesecake
8 ounces purchased biscotti
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 (12-ounce) container fresh whole milk ricotta, drained
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange blossom or clover honey
1 tablespoon orange zest
4 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Wrap the outside of a 9-inch springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides with 2 layers of heavy-duty foil. Finely grind the biscotti in a food processor. Add the melted butter and process until the crumbs are moistened. Press the crumb mixture over the bottom (not the sides) of the prepared pan. Bake until the crust is golden, about 15 minutes. Cool the crust completely on a cooling rack.

Blend the ricotta in a clean food processor until smooth. Add the cream cheese and sugar and blend well, stopping the machine occasionally and scraping down the sides of the work bowl. Blend in the honey and orange zest. Add the eggs and pulse just until blended.

Pour the cheese mixture over the crust in the pan. Place the springform pan in a large roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the springform pan. Bake until the cheesecake is golden and the center of the cake moves slightly when the pan is gently shaken, about 1 hour and 5 minutes (the cake will become firm when it is cold).

Transfer the cake to a rack and cool 1 hour. Refrigerate until the cheesecake is cold, at least 8 hours and up to 2 days. Cut the cake into wedges and serve.


Source: Giada De Laurentiis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As someone who tasted this cheesecake, I have to say...Ohmyga!! I don't even like cheesecake, but this was amazing. The calzones were delicious, too...homemade sauce and everything! You really spoiled us this Christmas, sis. Love you!