Tuesday, November 08, 2005

What girl doesn't love gold rings?


I decided I wanted to "step away from the pumpkin" for a change. I have cooked with pumpkin so much that really, other than the little piece of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, I don't want to taste anymore for quite some time. I got this recipe from my Moosewood Restaurant's Book of Desserts cookbook. I LOVE pineapple and this cake hit the spot. I was a little skeptical at first because I wasn't sure how the banana would taste with the pineapple, but it turned out delicious. The cake was moist and tasted just like a banana bread and the topping of pineapple & sugar was great. I actually see myself making it again in the near future. We ate it right out of the oven which only made it better. MMMMM MMMMM good!

Pineapple Banana Upside-Down Cake

Topping
20 oz can unsweetened sliced pineapple undrained
1/4 Cup butter
1/2 Cup sugar

Cake Batter
2 eggs
3/4 Cup packed brown sugar
1/2 Cup buttermilk
1/2 Cup mashed banana
3 Tbs vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 Cups flour

Preheat oven to 350. Drain the pineapple, reserving 1/3 Cup of the juice. In the skillet melt the butter on medium heat. Add the sugar and cook, stirring constantly. When the sugar starts to turn burn, after about 3 minutes, remove it from the heat and continue stirring to prevent the residual heat from browning the sugar unevenly.

Carefully add the drained pineapple juice; the mixture will sputter somewhat. Return the pan to low heat and stir to combine the juice and the caramelized sugar. When the sugar has melted again and the mixture is smooth, remove from the heat. Arrange the pineapple slices close together in a decorative layer on the bottom of the skillet. Reserve any remaining pineapple.

For the cake batter, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, buttermilk, bananas, oil & vanilla. Stir together the cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, salt & flour. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until smooth.

Pour the batter over the pineapple slices and top with any reserved slices. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the skillet for 10 minutes, then invert it onto a serving plate. Serve warm or cool to room temperature.

Source: The Moosewood Restaurant's Book of Desserts

5 comments:

carmilevy said...

There's nothing better in the world than fresh pineapple.

OK, maybe I'm overstating that a bit. But it truly is a special food.

Anonymous said...

I like pineapple, but I've never liked pineapple upside-down cakes of any sort. Is that weird? Maybe it's time to try them again. It looks pretty, though. :)

Jennifer said...

That sounds delicious!! I made a banana cake the other day, and think you can't really mess a good banana cake up. Pineapple, it seems, would give it a Hawaiian twist! Yum!

Michele said...

Love this idea! I'm not fond of pineapple upside-down cake but banana gives it a twist I would be willing to try.

Michelle Pessoa said...

Oh, that cake look yummy! My mom makes a nice pineapple upside down cake, but not with bananas.

Michele sent me!