Saturday, July 23, 2005

Lemon Nut Biscotti


Last night I went to drop my daughter off at the airport to go and visit her aunt for a few weeks before school started. I got back home this afternoon and was feeling a little lonely. My son left to go swimming so I was all alone for quite a while so I decided to do what I like to do best. I baked. I made some Lemon Nut Biscotti. I got the recipe off of the Better Homes & Garden website. It actually called for pistachio nuts, but eh not too keen on them so I tried it with walnuts. I was hoping for a really lemony taste, but it was mild. You had to drizzle a lemony glaze on it, but as you can see I am not too good with drizzling.... Any hoo.. here is the recipe for any one who would like to try it.

Lemon-Nut Biscotti
1/3 Cup butter, softened
2/3 Cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs
4 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 Cups unsalted pistachio nuts
1 Cup sifted powdered sugar
Lemon juice or milk

1. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or light grease the cookie sheets; set aside. In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; beat until combined, scraing side of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs, lemon peel, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the pistachio nuts.
2. On alightly floured surface, divide dough into 3 portions. Shape each potion into an 8-inch-long loaf. Place loaves at least 3 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Flatten loaves to about 2-1/2 inches wide. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and tops are cracked. (Loaves will spread slightly.) Let stand on cookie sheets on wire racks for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degree F.
3. Transfer loaves to a cutting board. Cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place slices, cut sides down, on the same parchment-lined or greased cookie sheets. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 8 minutes. Turn slices over and bake 8 to 10 minutes more or until dry and crisp. Transfer to wire reacks; cool. For icing, stir together powdered sugar and enough lemon juice or milk (1 to 2 tablespoons) to make icing of drizzling consistency. Drizzle over biscotti. Let stand until frosting is set. Makes about 36 cookies.

Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare Lemon-Nut Biscotti as directed through Step 3, except do not drizzle with icing. Transfer to self-sealing freezer bags or arrange in layers separated by waxed paper in a freezer container. Seal, label, and freeze up to 3 months.
To serve, thaw biscotti at room temperature 15 minutes. Drizzle with icing.

9 comments:

carmilevy said...

The plate is so nicely laid out that it would look at home on a wall. Of course, the food would have to be glued on, but that's a mere inconvenience.

I wish I could be as creative as you.

Tracy S said...

yummy I absolutely love biscotti . I was browsing your blog and oh my it could be dangerous ...lol Everything looks so yummy :)

guppyman said...

Oh no.... my wife was already here and started checking the recipes.... Who knows what things I will be forced to eat soon...?

Michele says hello.

Anonymous said...

Hello Michelle. Michelle sent me. And now I'm logging off to have some biscotti and a cup of coffee.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle, Michele sent me (but without coercian or even as much as a stern word or anything. ;-)) Nice place here, looks like you're cooking up lovely stuff. At first, I thought, how extraordinarym another quinceanera but sane family as your sister so that makes sense. More sense than my 2 a.m. babbling most likely. Cheers!

Lora said...

Your drizzling looks fine and the recipe sounds delicious, but lemon flavors can be so hard to capture.

I am not brave enough to really bake when it's so hot out. I want an outdoor oven.

Anonymous said...

Oh, sounds delicious! And your photograph is oh-so enticing!

I'm here via Michele's, and very pleased to find a foodie blog!

dena said...

Hello, Michelle sent me.

That resipe sounds so yummy.

Tammy said...

Looks yummy!

Michele sent me!